Follow Me:

Thursday, September 24, 2015

HIGH/LOW

There have been many highs and lows in the plus size community for decades.  However, last week marked a major milestone in the plus size community. Lane Bryant, one of plus size major retailers did a takeover in Time Square, where they spoke out about being plus size in America.  There #PlusIsEqual campaign is trending all over as they celebrated women of all sizes. While progress has been made, we still have a long way to go.

I have to admit that I have seen a major change in my shopping experience.  Being plus size basically all my life, shopping use to be a drag.  It was always hard finding trendy pieces in my size.  I dreaded going in stores and having to walk alllllllllllllllll the way to the back of the store to the plus size section.  Only to get back there and find what I like to call "granny clothes."  Finally, stores are now carrying a wider selection of clothes and sizes to fit the masses. I could never understand why plus size clothes were so scarce to begin with; especially here in Atlanta where the majority of women are shapely.  Nonetheless, I'm ecstatic to see major progress among retailers, who are starting to carry sexier clothing and not just that "granny" stuff.  Who wants to wear that?

 The desire for high quality has been something that the plus size community has struggled with.  However, we are vastly approaching some high times.  I recently purchased this high/low dress.  I instantly fell in love with it when I saw it. The color was perfect for the fall and matches my "Flat Out Fabulous" Mac lipstick I purchased a month ago. The quality of the dress is what was most impressive; tailored made.  This dress only set me back $22 dollars.TWENTY TWO DOLLARS! How cool is that. High and low skirts and dresses have been trending for some time now.  For me, it's bigger then a trend. This dress represents how far we have come.  The ability to go in a store and find trendy clothes that not only fit, but are made of good quality is truly progress. As top model Ashley Graham stated, "Size shouldn't matter when you're talking about a women who just wants to be fashionable." Let's continue to embark on this journey and make strides, as we ourselves have a voice.  Join the cause in the #PlusIsEqual campaign, and be apart of the fight for equal representation.









Dress: Encore | Shoes: Traffic | Lipstick: MAC

Photography By: Richard Woumn

Lashes By: Vivian Henson

Hair By: LYLAS HAIR

2 comments: