Follow Me:

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

MODERN

What is modern? Webster defines it as something relating to present or recent times.  When I read that I chuckled a little. I constantly think about how far we have come; not just as plus size women but WOMEN period.  I love how fashion has evolved and how designers are using words to make statement pieces with their clothes. It's all over the place now; from graphic shirts with positive words on them; to now a dress. How cool is that!  

This MODERN dress is very special to me. I purchased it here at forever21.  Aside from its fit, I love how this dress makes me feel.  You know the saying, "There’s power in words."  I don't know exactly who quoted it that way but you get my drift.  The words we write and speak to others can leave a major impact on someone's life.  In this case, it’s the same thing.  Words we see on clothes, whether good or bad, can have a lasting memory on someone.  So why not start positively wearing your words; and watch how it makes you feel.

I have to tell you, this shoot with my amazing photographer Richard was super special to me. Everyone who personally knows me, know I love to laugh and live life to the fullest.  When I think about the word "Modern,” I pondered for a minute and asked myself what that word meant to me.  Modern to me, much how Webster described it is something relating to the present. When I take that and apply it to what I am presently doing; plus size fashion is just that.  The industry has evolved and has gone further than I could have ever imagined fifteen years ago.  With better styles, trendier selections, and more options, plus size fashion is the new "Modern." Modern to me is being fearless and breaking barriers.  Modern to me is taking objections of the past and turning them into present opportunities.  Modern for me, well it’s turning a negative into a positive.  Because this is not just about skinny or fat, black or white, but "Modern" today, is about who you are, and what you want to be known for.  So, tell me, what do "Modern" mean to you?








Dress: Forever21 | Shoes: UrbanOG

Photography By: Richard Woumn

Hair By: LYLAS HAIR

4 comments:

  1. #SheThoroOne this has to be ONE of my favorite blog post because most people know what the dictionary version of what modern means but you talk about what it means to you and acknowledge that it can mean something different for someone else. ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  2. #SheThoroOne this has to be ONE of my favorite blog post because most people know what the dictionary version of what modern means but you talk about what it means to you and acknowledge that it can mean something different for someone else. ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete